Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Obligatory Superbowl Ad Critique

From my best friends in the ad business, to the New York Times, and yes, even my Mom. Everyone seems to have an opinion on "the best" ads in the Superbowl. I've seen several articles about how there used to be a clear winner in the ad game - which, less face it, is usually more interesting than the football game.

But in the past few years, and especially this year the game is changing. The likes of YouTube are throwing another curve ball [wrong sport, I know] at advertisers and clients alike. While USA Today used to be the number one post-game poll, this year YouTube, Hulu, AOL, Yahoo, and well, everyone had polls and forums discussing the commercials. Fans voted on and discussed favorites and the results simply don't match up.

And that's exactly how it should be.

Advertising is 100% subjective. Different ads speak to different targets, different lifestyles, and different senses of humor. Different people. Each website and poll about the ads do the same. And, we all know this. There should not be a clear winner because that's the beauty of advertising - you get to pick what you like.

And here's mine.

5. Coca-Cola "Heist" - This one is based almost entirely on production, and I'm ok with that. I loved it.

4. Miller High Life "1-second ads" Great concept, possibly a media-nightmare but totally worth it. I'm curious as to how it ran since I didn't see the game, but as a montage it's great.

3. Pedigree Yea, that's right Pedigree - possibly just missing my dog.

2. CareerBuilder.com In a lot of people's top ads. I thought it was great. Punching a koala - oh dear.

1. Pepsi "Forever Young" Feel good Pepsi ad. Perhaps my love of Dylan made this one move up my list but I thought this was fantastic, and definitely stood out.

1 comment:

lilmissjen said...

This is almost the same as my list - swap in Pepsuber and Hulu for Pedigree and Miller.